Friday, June 02, 2006

More thoughts on summer things…


I talked about culture the other day. I guess I will continue in that vein.

Think of your last airplane flight in the summer. Maybe you traveled with this family as I did. What is up with the ever so large women, head of a family of five, that carry all their luggage on? We are not talking small pieces of luggage here. No we are talking American Tourister, hard side, with wheels. If the can find a model with a leash, watch out it will be coming aboard. This is classic luggage people.

It’s not just them. They have indoctrinated the entire family of five. They all have carry on luggage. Even the little ones. Mom, the patriarch of the family told them that the boogie man would steal their luggage. The airline would steal it. Or maybe even, “Well if we crash you will want you toothbrush and your good underwear”. I don’t know what she told them, but they all think this stuff is worth of carrying onto an aircraft smaller than most trailer houses.

But I need my medication….

Of course you do. I am not asking you to walk on a plane with nothing in hand. That makes me nervous too. But a small handbag or carry on under 24 inches for a few small items is great. Hell, pack them snacks I don't care. Just do not get on board with a bag big enough to have Aunt Myrtle in. Buy her a ticket. It may be the last trip she takes.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a plane, ready to leave the gate. You hear the overhead. Ladies and Gentlemen, we are going to be a bit delayed, it seems the connecting flight from Yazoo City is running a bit late. Then you see the first one, a pale woman in shorts covered in a light glaze of sweat. As her arms just seem to slide of the side of her arm, your head is now in perfect position for her carry on to clobber you. Then you see the rest of the family. The other four. At that time you are thinking… “What in the hell was I thinking?” traveling in the summer months is like armature hour at the Apollo. You never know what you are going to get.

Anyone with thoughts on foreign tourist and Speedo’s?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home